Pin It

PWD Philippines

Hiring PWDs in the Philippines: It’s a great idea

Posted by adminrp in Benefits and perks, PWDs in the workplace with 30 Comments

How do we let people know that hiring PWDs is a great idea? Let them know the benefits.

If you ask a small business owner if he will hire a person with disability, more often than not the idea will be met with opposition if not laughter or sarcasm. Sadly, many perception-based biases hurt the PWDs chances of living a    productive and fulfilling life. Our primary goal at PWDPhil.com is to raise awareness and change public perception towards Pinoys With Disabilities.  Their disabilities should not be hindrances to their employ-ability and unless the job requires specific motor skills, the person with disability is as good as anyone vying for an office job.  Remember that the law states that “No person with disability shall be denied access to opportunities for suitable employment. A qualified disabled employee shall be subject to the same terms and conditions of employment and the same compensation, privileges, benefits, fringe benefits, incentives or allowances as a qualified able bodied person. “

The few PWDs who get hired working in offices struggle against physical hardship just to get to the office on time. Many of our ramps are not safe for wheelchairs and even more of these ramps are too steep or too narrow for a wheelchair to use for the PWD to go at it alone. The cost of building or retrofitting these access ramps are an expense that many companies have chosen to scrimp on, mostly because of the general negative attitude pervasive against PWDs.

The government has taken steps in giving tax incentives to companies that make improvements to make their facility access-friendly, as there are also tax incentives for hiring PWDs as seen in the provisions of Republic Act 7277:

To encourage the active participation of the private sector in promoting the welfare of disabled persons and to ensure gainful employment for qualified disabled persons, adequate incentives shall be provided to private entities which employ disabled persons.cralaw

(b) Private entities that employ disabled persons who meet the required skills or qualifications, either as regular employee, apprentice or learner, shall be entitled to an additional deduction, from their gross income, equivalent to twenty-five percent (25%) of the total amount paid as salaries and wages to disabled persons: Provided, however, That such entities present proof as certified by the Department of Labor and Employment that disabled persons are under their employ: Provided, further, That the disabled employee is accredited with the Department of Labor and Employment and the Department of Health as to his disability, skills and qualifications.

(c) Private entities that improve or modify their physical facilities in order to provide reasonable accommodation for disabled persons shall also be entitled to an additional deduction from their net taxable income, equivalent to fifty percent (50%) of the direct costs of the improvements or modifications. This Section, however, does not apply to improvements or modifications of facilities required under Batas Pambansa Bilang 344.

Beyond what the incentives and laws say, it is always a good idea to hire a PWD. Because they are people too who have abilities that contribute to any organization’s operations. The hardships that many of them face, including ridicule and bullying, Pinoys with disabilities are strong, capable and determined to prove their worth.

30 Comments

1. Bart December 10, 2013 7:13 am Reply

Are there additional tax exemptions for employed people with disabilities?

2. Mylene Aro-Guatlo June 9, 2014 11:09 am Reply

Im disabled person searching forwork to support my needs

3. Mike Espiritu August 19, 2014 10:48 am Reply

please help me..

4. JEN September 30, 2014 5:46 am Reply

HELLO der 🙂 im jenifer 21 years of age im disabled person too . and searching for work also . i hope you can help me . thanks this is my contact # 09274502510 God Bless .

5. lev February 6, 2015 4:30 pm Reply

hi this is lev i dont know if this really works but i really want to work its just that im really having a hard time getting hired probably because im a pwd i hope you can help me

6. carmilito c abedejos jr March 18, 2015 12:02 pm Reply

I hope you can help me to find job,im 39 yrs. Male,ab political science graduate

7. Robert S. Cabtalan April 11, 2015 6:59 am Reply

I am a person with disability and currently needed a work to support my needs….

8. Robert S. Cabtalan April 11, 2015 7:00 am Reply

Here very willing to work so i could support on my needs here is my number to contact 09059625819

9. Robert Cabtalan April 11, 2015 7:07 am Reply

Good Day Sir/Madam,
    I am Robert Cabtalan Disable person and urgently looking for a work to support my needs and fulfill my obligation to my son

10. mark e. bacani May 22, 2015 4:16 am Reply

To whom it may concern,

I’m mark bacani 30 yrs old, pwd, lookin for a job that fits me…i can still drive a motorcycle…

11. monica August 3, 2015 8:48 am Reply

Hi im monica. 24yrs.old. looking for a job that can accept even though i have disabilities on my left hand. Please help me i really need a jo.please

12. Leo Lim September 14, 2015 4:32 pm Reply

Hi po can I ask to please help to get a job I’m a member PWD.Here is my contact number 09065253413 and my email LIMLEOTODOC@gmail.com. thank you so much.hopefully you will notice my message.thanks again

13. Jared Formalejo October 9, 2015 12:12 pm Reply

Good day!

My name is Jared Formalejo, currently 22 years of age and I am a PWD with both hemophilia and epilepsy and am currently looking for employment. I have been looking for help for such a long time and am hoping to find a job to support my financial needs. I am able to neither drive nor commute. For anyone willing to help, please send me a message at formalejo_jared@yahoo.com

14. Michael Labides November 22, 2015 3:33 am Reply

Hello! I’m Michael Labides 31 years old I’m BSED graduate disabled persons searching for work this is my # 09327687476

15. Kevin Patrick Dela Cruz November 23, 2015 12:59 am Reply

Good Morning.
    how are you.
    can i will apply to you’re company. PWD Client Available is position data Encode and service helping.
    Thank you so much. kind of consideration..

16. MMG March 17, 2016 4:07 am Reply

Good day to all, we are a food and beverage manufacturing company based in Paranaque City, we have several job openings in different areas of our operations and we are looking to give work opportunities to pwds. If you are interested please send your cv to our email, mmginc_ph@yahoo.com. Thank you.

17. Marilou Cordero April 9, 2016 1:31 am Reply

Good day to all. I am a polio victim and work with the BPO Company for over 7 years now. Hoping there is a lot of company who can hire PWD with this benefits given by the government:

18. ronelo sevilla July 27, 2016 3:09 am Reply

im ronelo sevilla also pwd person searching a work 09356291863

19. wendy tolentino September 20, 2016 2:06 pm Reply

hello there,im wendy, 30 frm quezon city..im trying this nd i hope it will work nd i hope i can get a job even i am amputee person..bt i can walk stil by walkng stick nd i can do evrythng just for my son..

20. John October 16, 2016 4:47 pm Reply

Hi cant you find me a job im john micheal lotado i also a pwd person find a job please here my contact number 09354287420

21. Russel Espedido November 9, 2016 2:10 am Reply

I’m Russel Espedido 21, from La Carlota City Negros Occidental. A Graduate of Computer Programming NClV at LasalTech La Carlota Training Center. Vocational Course 2015. I’m a Polio victim. I can find a job because of my situation. I can’t even commute by my self. I hope that you will help me. Thank you.
    Contact: chacharodriguez7@gmail.com
    09157877234

22. Alyssa rueda November 22, 2016 5:26 am Reply

Good Day Sir/Ma’am; Im Alyssa Rueda 22 yrs old pwd person . 4yrs.graduated of business administration .looking for a job that can accept my qualification because i had cleft and palate disability . I am hard to communicate to others cause of my speech . i hope that you will help me . pls contact my no 09057888402 or on my email rueda.alyssa@yahoo.com

thank you !

23. Julie Miranda November 30, 2016 9:44 pm Reply

Im looking for telemarketer, female, computer literate, speaks well in English, can work at home, born again christian….please send ur bio (julie.miranda@sga.ph)

24. Joseph January 5, 2017 9:31 am Reply

Job opening to work for me on Aircon Services. Preferably manila area or willing to work in manila.

25. Angeli Miranda March 15, 2017 1:48 pm Reply

Hi, I am Angeli Miranda and 21 years old. i am live in Pampanga. I graduated in Miriam College last year. I have experience in our activities and award that is very great a opportunity for supporting to PWD. I can give my best to communicate the paper or phone with each other. Hope you will accept for PWD. I will hope you to support for hiring PWD. Can you please me contact you my Number +639168636186 or email: gelmiranda05@gmail.com. Thank you so much.

26. Joneelyn G. Tumbokon March 19, 2017 12:26 pm Reply

Hi, i am Joneelyn Tumbokon from Pandacan. am a Human Resource Officer, i have a stroke half body paralyzed. I really need a work to support my needs. heres my no. 09198177968 and my email joni_ tumbokon@yahoo.com. Thank you so much.