Pin It

PWD Philippines

PWDs in the BPO Industry

Posted by adminrp in PWDs in the workplace with 21 Comments

Many Pinoys with Disabilities may not know that the BPO (business process outsourcing) industry has employed so many PWDs, some of them like Mr. Baradi in the video, have climbed the corporate ladder to become managers, supervisors or highly-paid specialists. The problem with many companies in the Philippines is that they have not been treating PWDs like regular employees, meaning they have been doing their fair share of the work but not paid like a non-disabled worker. It is discrimination that have led many PWDs to work menial jobs for lesser pay.

The BPO industry began when then DTI Secretary, now DILG Secretary, Mar Roxas collaborated with certain government agencies like the Dept of Foreign Affairs and Congress to make the country attractive for BPO companies to set up shop in the Philippines. Back in 2000, many BPOs have set up shop in India and have been known to employ hundreds of thousands of people there. By the time that the negotiations have become signed agreements, BPOs have started to mushroom in most of the urban areas, not just within Metro Manila, but in Visayas and Mindanao.

When the BPOs started coming to the Philippines, it wasn’t just the people and the PWDs who benefited directly from having gainful employment. Employment was also generated by ancillary businesses that grew from providing services to the employees. From laundry shops to eateries, to transportation and lodging services, the BPOs spawned opportunities for new sources of income that were never possible without the BPO.

These days, you no longer have to uproot yourself and live in Metro Manila just to work for a BPO. According to the National Competitiveness Council Philippines, as of 2014, there are five cities outside Metro Manila that are known to have a high rate of employment as a direct result of the BPO industry. These cities are:

1. Cagayan De Oro, Northern Mindanao
  2. Naga City, Bicol Region
  3. Davao City, Davao
  4. Iloilo City, Iloilo
  5. Cebu City, Cebu

For a Pinoy with disability, being able to work in a place that has wheelchair-accessible entrance, exits and bathrooms is a big help in finding gainful employment. No longer  burden to the family, PWDs can work and enjoy standard salaries once denied them.  Stay glued to this blog as more information will be provided.

21 Comments

1. ketha Siva ganesh kumar June 19, 2015 5:52 am Reply

Am Siva ganesh Kumar from vizag.AS am deaf….I completed b.tech in 2012 batch.and scored 57 percent….I am searching for jobs….

2. monica August 3, 2015 8:41 am Reply

I just really wanted to aply for a job. Because I dont wanted to be burden to my family forever because of my disabilities on my hand. I try to aply to many companies but Didnt hired me because of my disabilies on my hands, I really dont know what to do right now. I feel hopeless because of the discrimination I had experience. Please help me.

• John Mark S. Bebing September 11, 2015 6:27 am Reply

hi monica same po tayo ng disablity sa hands din .. gusto ko mag try ng bpo kaso natatakot ako baka hindi nila ako tanggapin dahil sa disablity ko .

• John Mark S. Bebing September 11, 2015 6:27 am Reply

3. Suzanne January 6, 2016 3:26 am Reply

Looking for a reliever for Data Analytics and Monitoring.

Experience:
    • You have some experience with data collection, analysis and reporting (Preference)
    • You are strong in Microsoft Excel (Required)
    • You have experience with SAP BW, MS SQL, Access and/or other data warehouse tools and methods (Preference)
    • It is advantageous if you have previous experience from working in an IT Department or an IT Company

Education:
    • Bachelor’s Degree in Arts/Sciences (BA/BS), Accounting, Finance, or Information Technology.

4. axel winn barroso January 20, 2016 12:42 am Reply

we are hiring persons with disability please send your resume at my email axelwinn26@gmail.com

bpo

5. Kael Alma April 7, 2016 9:48 pm Reply

I have a friend who works for Synchrony (BPO). They have hired several pwd regardless of disability. You just have to really be skilled and pass their hiring process. She said its a very pwd friendly company – not limited to physical disability but mental as well are welcomed to join. Call 7952700 for details on how to apply.

6. Qamarjahan May 21, 2016 6:44 am Reply

I am very intelligent and creative

7. Qamarjahan May 21, 2016 6:45 am Reply

I want to prov my best

8. mary joy tanaliga June 9, 2016 3:37 am Reply

naghahanap din po ako ng work.i have also physical disability.gusto ko po magkawork..tapos na po ako ng BEED-Sped.

9. Rico Tierra Magdasoc July 7, 2016 7:24 am Reply

May physical disability din po ako, graduate po ako ng Business Administration, nais ko din po mag apply sa BPO

10. AnnetteP. August 5, 2016 8:36 pm Reply

Am looking for a job too with my disability, I am spinal injured person. Using wheelchair long distance & walking stick short distance. As for this moment, where I can us can get help if we have certain problems needs to attend immediately. Coz people they are not respecting people like me with disability. And it seems dealing with disability like me, they are taking things for granted, just like what happened to our car, now been under repaired which they said 5days only now took the 3wks, that’s why cannot do my most of errands without transport. Please can somebody give me help.

11. celso amoto September 7, 2016 5:47 am Reply

hoping for a job like me a person with disability,I was ones a seafarer unfortunately I got a spinal cord injury that why i cant go back to my previous job,my right right leg is weak i drag when walking..I try to apply local job but i cant pass to an interview,maybe the reason is my physical fitness..

12. turo September 9, 2016 2:28 pm Reply

naku namuti mata ko..malakas pa din ang discrimination sa mga pwd, hirap pa mag apply ng work sa mga company..kaya kung ako sa iyo mag bukas ka nlang ng business. yon nga lang kung wala ka budget eh magtiyaga ka kung sino kukuha sa iyo.

13. philip john March 23, 2017 11:58 am Reply

hi!mgandang gbe’ ako po ay isang pwds na naghahanap
    sana ng trabaho pra makutulong den ako sa family ko ako po ay naaccendenty dati sa tinatrabahuhan ko at sa sawing palad nawalan po ako ng right arm.marami na din akong inapplyan at sinubokan ko bumalik sa tinatrabahuhan ko kasu d na nla ako tinanggap. sana kayo na makatulong sa aking’ ako po ay tubong iloilo. maraming salamat po.09971352927

14. Sara Bianca Taniegra March 24, 2017 8:14 am Reply

ako si Sara Bianca Taniegra bka po matutulungan niyo po ako PWD din po ako,n nakahanap po ng wor. Salamat po

15. Sara Bianca R. Taniegra March 24, 2017 8:17 am Reply

Hi po Ako po si Sara Bianca Taniegra na PWD DIN nais po sanang humingi ng tulong na makahanap ng maganda work.Sana po ako po ay inyong matulungan salamt po. new cp 09472471717